If you have never tried making Green Peas Stir-fry / Green Peas Poriyal / Pachai Pattani Poriyal, you really should! If I’m out of fresh vegetables to make a side-dish to pair up with rice, I turn to my trusty freezer and pick up the bag of frozen green peas.
This is one of the easiest side dishes to make on any day of the week to pair it up with a lunch meal. This quick and delicious vegetable side dish adds color and nutrition to your meal. In this recipe, I have used lemon juice to add extra flavor to the dish to make it a little tangy. You can also check my Carrot Peas kootu / Carrot Peas Stir-fry for more side dish ideas.
- Green peas – 2 cups
- Onion – 1, chopped
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Sambar powder – 1 tsp
- Pepper powder – ¼ tsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Heat water in a pan. Once it starts boiling, add enough salt and green peas. Cook it for 2 minutes and drain the water. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the items given under ‘To Temper’. Once it starts to splutter, add onion and sauté till it becomes translucent.
- Add boiled green peas and stir it for a minute. Add sambar powder, turmeric powder, pepper powder, and mix it well. Let it cook till the raw smell goes away.
- Switch off the flame, and sprinkle lemon juice on top and mix it well.
Green Peas Stir-fry / Green Peas Poriyal / Pachai Pattani Poriyal is now ready… Serve it with rice and sambar or rasam.
- We already added salt to the green peas while boiling it, so add more salt only if needed while adding the masala.
- Don’t overcook green peas for a long time while boiling. It will become too mushy.
- You can even skip pepper powder if you don’t like it while adding masalas.