Potato is a favorite veggie among everyone. Potato Stir-fry / Potato Poriyal / Potato Vepudu / Aloo Sabzi makes for a delicious side dish that is full of flavor and goes well with a ton of different meal options (like lemon rice, coconut rice, sambar, rasam or even chapati.)
This recipe calls for one big onion. I recommend that you don’t skip this one, (as I know people either love them or hate them.) However, they add tons of flavor to this dish. It is easy enough that I usually will make it for a side dish for a nice weekend lunch or something like that.
- Potato – 3, chopped
- Onion – 1, chopped
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala – 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Salt – To taste
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Asafoetida (Hing) – A pinch
- Gingelly oil – 2 tbsp
- Wash and soak the chopped potatoes in water for 15 minutes to remove the excess starch.
- Heat oil in a pan, add items under ‘To temper’. Add onion and sauté till it becomes translucent. Add potato and stir it.
- Add turmeric powder, salt, and water and mix it well. Close it with a lid and allow it to cook on low flame (stir it in between to avoid sticking to the bottom.)
- Add red chili powder, garam masala, and stir it well and let it cook for a minute and switch off the flame.Potato Stir-fry / Potato Poriyal / Potato Vepudu / Aloo Sabzi is ready to serve with rice and chapati.
- Don’t allow the potato to get too dry as it will stick to the bottom.
- You can adjust the spice according to your spice level.
- You can add urad dal and chana dal (1 tsp) while tempering to give the dish a crunchier taste.
- You can garnish it with cilantro (coriander leaves) to give a rich presentation.