Coconut Rice / Thengai Sadam / Kobbari Annam is another traditional South Indian variety rice. It is a special dish that is made during festivals. And best of all, this recipe is super simple and easy to make. Once you try this coconut rice, you will see how quickly it will turn into your option of choice. Any veg or non-veg dish will go well with this rice. You can also check my other variety rice recipes.
- Coconut – 1 1/2 cup, shredded
- Chana dal – 1 tbsp
- Urad dal – 2 tbsp (soak and dry roast is optional)
- Cashew nuts – 10
- Salt – to taste
- Basmati rice – 1 cup
- Water – 1 1/2 cups
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Red chili – 4
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Asafoetida (Hing) – A pinch
- Coconut oil (or) Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Clean and soak the rice and urad dal separately in enough water for 1 hour.
- Dry roast the urad dal and keep it aside. Boil water in a deep bottomed pan and add salt and ghee. Once it starts to boil, add the soaked rice and close it with a lid and allow it to cook.
- Once it gets cooked, open the lid and loosen the rice with a spoon to allow it to cool quickly.
- Heat oil or ghee in a pan, add the items given under ‘To Temper’. Add asafoetida, chana dal, urad dal, and cashew nuts over medium flame. Sauté until it turns golden brown.
- Add shredded coconut and salt, and stir it for a minute. Add this to the cooked rice and mix it well.
Coconut Rice / Thengai Sadam / Kobbari Annam is ready to serve with Potato stir-fry and papad.
- You can add urad dal without even roasting.
- Instead of cashew nuts, you can use peanuts.
- Coconut oil will give a nice flavor.
- You can use leftover rice as well.