Onion Carrot Uttapam / Pancake is a South Indian breakfast. This recipe is pretty close to a restaurant style uttapam and extremely easy to make.
This Uttapam has a soft and spongy texture. The onion-carrot topping over this Uttapam makes it super yummy and tasty.
I have a bite-sized 2-minute video to show you how to make this Onion Carrot Uttapam / Pancake.
- Idli batter – As needed
- Onion – 1, chopped
- Carrot – 1, peeled and grated
- Coriander leaves (cilantro) – 1/2 cup, chopped
- Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Gingelly oil – 1 tbsp or As needed
- Butter / ghee – As needed (optional)
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, add onion and saute till it becomes translucent. Add carrot and stir it for a couple of minutes.
- Add pepper powder and salt. Stir it for a minute and add cilantro and stir it again.
- Heat Tawa (griddle) on medium flame, smear some oil in Tawa and pour a ladle full of batter on the Tawa (don’t spread the batter). Top the uttapam with the onion-carrot mixture. Drizzle enough oil on the edges and top of the uttapam.
- After a minute or two, flip it and press it gently with a ladle on top and let it cook till it becomes golden brown over medium flame.
Serve it with Sambar.
- To make sure the uttapam is cooked inside, cook it on medium flame.
- Instead of oil, drizzle ghee or butter on top to make the taste richer.
- Instead of dosa batter, idli batter makes the uttapam so soft and spongy.