Puttu is a very popular lip smacking traditional breakfast in Kerala. We can make a lot of varieties in Puttu with different stuffings. Here I’m gonna shareKerala Mutta / Egg Puttu / Egg Steamed Rice Cake to start with. Try this yummy dish at home.
- Onion – 1, chopped
- Tomato – 1, chopped
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Red chili powder – ½ tsp
- Garam masala – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
For Scrambled Egg
- Egg – 3
- Pepper powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Rice flour – 2 cups
- Water – (1 – 1 ¼ )cups
- Salt – ¾ tsp
- In a mixing bowl, take rice flour and salt, and mix them together. Add water little by little till the flour becomes like breadcrumbs.
- The consistency should be such that it holds its shape when held in hand (as shown in the picture below), and crumbles easily when pressed a little. Keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- Beat the eggs with pepper powder and salt. Heat a tsp of oil in a pan, pour the beaten egg mixture and scramble it. Keep it aside.
- In a pan, heat 2 tbsp of oil, add onion and sauté till it becomes translucent. Add ginger-garlic paste and curry leaves, and stir it until the raw smell goes away.
- Add tomato and sauté for a couple of minutes. Add red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, and salt and stir it for a minute. Add the scrambled eggs (prepared above) and mix it well. Keep it aside.
- In a chiratta puttu maker (you can use any kind of puttu maker), start filling with 1 tbsp of coconut, add 3 tbsp of egg mixture as the second layer and fill the rest with Rice flour (puttu flour) and close it with the lid.
- In a pressure cooker, fill ¼th with water, and place the puttu maker over the pressure cooker lid as shown in the picture. Once the steam emerges through the steamer, the puttu is ready to serve (it takes about 5-6 minutes.)
Kerala Mutta / Egg Puttu / Egg Steamed Rice Cake is ready to serve.
- Don’t press down the flour tightly in the puttu maker, as it won’t get cooked properly.