If you have a crush for Avocado, this recipe is just for you. Sometimes, we don’t even know what to do with Avocados other than to make smoothies, milkshakes, or Guacamole. Today, It’s a heavy rainy day for us. So, I thought of making something fried to enjoy the weather. As I had a lot of Avocados, I thought of making Avocado Egg Rolls. I tried this dish for the first time at a famous restaurant near me.
If this is the first time you are hearing about Avocado Egg Rolls, don’t worry as it is really easy to make. It is similar to samosas and spring rolls. You will notice that the only difference is in the delicious filling. Trust me, If you try this once, you will try it again for sure. To bring a magic taste to the dish, dip it in the Tamarind Cilantro Dipping Sauce.
- Avocados – 2, peeled and pitted
- Sun-dried tomato – 2 tbsp, chopped
- Red onion – ½, chopped
- Coriander leaves (cilantro) – 2 tbsp, chopped
- Lime Juice – 1 tbsp
- Black pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – for deep frying
Egg roll pastry
- All-purpose flour (maida) – 2 cups
- Water – 3 cups (or) as needed
- Egg – 1
- Egg yolk – 2 (keep the egg white separately, for coating before frying)
- Salt – to taste
Coating & Frying
- All-purpose (maida) paste – Maida (1 tsp) + Water (as needed), for sealing the edges of egg rolls.
- Egg white – from 2 eggs (beaten lightly)
- Breadcrumbs – as needed
- Oil – to fry
- Using a knife, slice through the avocado lengthwise until the knife hits the seed and then cut it open. Remove the seed and peel the skin lightly, and scoop out the flesh by inserting the finger or spoon inside. Place the flat side of the avocado on the cutting board and chop it roughly.
- In a mixing bowl, transfer the avocado and mash it. Add onion, sun-dried tomato, and mix it well.
- Add coriander leaves (cilantro), lemon, pepper powder, salt and mix it again. Keep it aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add all-purpose flour, salt and mix it well. Add water little by little till it becomes a thin batter.
- Take one whole egg, two egg yolks (keep the egg whites for dipping while frying) and beat it thoroughly. Add the egg mixture to the batter and mix it well.
- To make the pancake, heat a Tawa (skillet) and apply some oil. Pour ½ – ¾ ladle of batter and spread it evenly.
- Close it with a lid and let the pancake get cooked(It will take around 1 minute). Transfer it to a plate using a spatula.
- In the pancake, put 2 tsp of avocado filling on one side and fold it as shown in the picture. Seal the end with all-purpose (maida) paste.
- Beat the egg white lightly and dip the rolls in it. Next, roll it in the breadcrumbs till it gets coated completely.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat, fry the egg rolls till it becomes golden brown.
- If you don’t have sun-dried tomato, use one regular tomato.
- Don’t store the avocado egg rolls for days as the avocado filling will turn brown.
- If you want to use ready-made pastry, buy Egg roll wrapper from the grocery store.
- Don’t overheat the oil while frying, the Avocado Egg Rolls will get burned.