Chana Masala / Chole Masala / Channay / Cholay is an Indian/Pakistani gravy to serve along with Naan, Roti, Poori, Bhatura. With this recipe, let’s bring out the delicious flavors of traditional Chana masala.
Chana Masala / Chole Masala / Channay / Cholay isn’t complicated to make. I’ve put together a very lengthy explanation here with step-by-step photos and all the info you would need to make this delicious dish.
- Onion – 1, chopped
- Tomato – 1, chopped
- Green chili – 2, chopped
- Ginger-Garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Amchur powder(dry mango powder) – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Red chili powder – ¾ tsp
- Cumin powder – ¼ tsp
- Garam masala – ½ tsp
- Dry Ginger powder – ⅛ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Anardhana powder (Dried Pomegranate Seeds) – ½ tsp
- Kastoori methi – ⅛ tsp
- Coriander leaves – ¼ cup
- Lemon – ½
- Water – ½ cup
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Ghee – 1tsp
- Bay leaves – 1
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
To cook Chickpeas:-
- Chickpeas (Channa) – 1 cup
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Water – 1½ cups
- Tea Bag (Optional) – 2
- Wash and soak Channa (Chickpeas) in water for 8 – 10 hours.
- In a pressure cooker, add the soaked channa (chickpeas), water, tea bags, and salt. Put the pressure regulator on top and cook it over medium flame for 5 – 6 whistles (or) until the channa (chickpeas) becomes soft.
- Once the pressure settles down, remove the pressure regulator (some call it the pressure weight). Discard the tea bags and transfer 1/4 of the cooked chickpeas to a blender. and keep the stock (cooked chickpeas water) aside.
- Once the chickpeas in the blender cool down, add water and blend it into a smooth paste.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan, add ghee and oil. Add the items given under ‘To Temper’.
- Add onion and saute till it becomes translucent. Add ginger-garlic paste, green chili, and stir it till the raw smell goes away.
- Add tomatoes and allow it to cook till it turns mushy. Add Red chili powder, Turmeric powder, Amchur powder (dry mango powder), Coriander powder, Cumin powder, Garam Masala, Dry Ginger powder, Anardhana powder (Dried Pomegranate Seeds), Kastoori methi and salt and mix it well till the raw smell goes away.
- Add cooked chickpeas (Channa), Channa stock, and water. Mix it well and allow it to boil over medium flame for 15 minutes. Add the chickpeas (Channa) paste and mix it well. Allow it to cook till the gravy becomes semi thick.
- Switch off the flame, and add the chopped cilantro and mix it well.
Chana Masala / Chole Masala / Channay / Cholay is ready to serve along with Bhatura, Poori, and Naan.
- Adding tea bag gives a darker color to the channa (chickpeas).
- Check the pressure cooker’s vent pipe before using it to make sure it is not blocked.