Chicken Korma / Kurma / Khurma / Qorma is a Mughlai dish which is very popular in India and Pakistan. There are a variety of kurmas made with chicken, mutton, or beef. For veggie lovers, there are a variety of veggie kurmas like Navrathna kurma, White vegetable kurma, Paneer kurma, etc. The differences between the various kurmas come down to the spices we add. It’s full of flavor and is simple enough for weeknight dinners. You can have it with Poori, Chapathi, or Naan. You can also check my other chicken recipes here.
I have a bite-sized 2-minute video to show you how to make this Chicken Korma / Kurma / Khurma / Qorma.
- Chicken – ½ kg
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Kashmiri red chili powder – ¾ tsp
- Water – 1 cup or as needed
- Yogurt (curd) – 1 cup
- Coriander leaves (Cilantro) – To garnish
- Ghee – 2 tsp + 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Coconut – ¾ cup
- Poppy seeds – 1 tsp
- Besan (Chickpeas / Gram) flour – 1 tbsp
To fry Onion:-
- Onion – 1, sliced
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Oil – to fry
- Ghee(Clarified butter) – 1 tbsp
- Cloves – 5
- Whole pepper – 10
- Cinnamon stick – 1 piece
- Black cardamom – 2
- Bay leaf- 1
- Green chili – 2, slits
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Take the sliced onion and drizzle salt and crumble it. Keep it aside for 10 minutes. Once it becomes soggy, squeeze the juice from the onion.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the onion till it becomes golden brown. Keep it aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a pan and dry roast coconut, poppy seeds and besan flour for 2 minutes. Then grind it coarsely.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add the chicken pieces. Fry it for 3-5 minutes over medium flame.
- In another deep bottomed pan, heat ghee and add the items given under ‘To temper’. Add the coconut paste and ginger-garlic paste, and saute till the raw smell goes away.
- Add red chili powder and stir it well. Then add the fried chicken pieces and mix it well with the coconut. Then add water and close it with a lid. Allow it to cook (don’t add salt now; add it at the very end if needed).
- Once the chicken gets cooked, add the fried onion and saute it well. Add yogurt and mix it well with the chicken and allow it to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Finally, garnish it with cilantro(coriander leaves). Chicken Korma / Kurma / Khurma / Qorma is now ready to serve it with Poori, Chapati or Naan.
- You can add more red chili powder as per your spice level.
- Don’t add salt while cooking because we already added salt to the onion. If you add extra salt it will be quite salty.
- Add water to cooked chicken as needed.