Indo-Chinese Veg Hakka Noodles / Chow Mein is a Chinese dish with an Indian twist. It is made with cooked noodles which are stir-fried with a lot of veggies and a variety of sauces.
The key thing that makes this dish stand out is the smokey flavor that comes with cooking it on high flame. I go completely nuts for mushrooms, so I added them to Indo-Chinese Veg Hakka Noodles / Chow Mein. You can also check my other Noodles here.
I have a bite-sized 2-minute video to show you how to make this Indo-Chinese Veg Hakka Noodles / Chow Mein.
- Mushroom – 1 cup, sliced
- Onion, medium sized – 1, chopped
- Spring Onion – 3 sprigs, (Chop white part & green part separately)
- Carrot, medium sized – 1, julienne (cut it into thin strips)
- Capsicum – 1, cut lengthwise
- Cabbage – 1 cup, cut lengthwise
- Ginger – 1 tbsp, chopped
- Garlic – 1 tbsp, chopped
- White pepper powder – ¼ tsp
- Chilli garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Green Chili Sauce – 1 tbsp
- Soy sauce – 1 tbsp
- Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
To Cook Noodles:-
- Plain Noodles – 2 pieces (150 g)
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Olive oil – 1 tsp + 1 tbsp
- Cook the noodles as per the package instruction or boil 4 cups of water in a deep bottomed pan. Once it starts to boil, add salt and 1 tsp Olive oil. Let it boil for a minute, and then add the noodles and let it cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Drain the hot water from the noodles and pour cold water on top to remove excess starch (make sure the water runs through the noodles completely). Then sprinkle some oil and mix it well to avoid sticking.
- Heat oil in a pan, add ginger, garlic and saute it well till it turns slight brown. Then keep the flame on high and add onion and spring onion white. Saute it well and toss it in between.
- Add carrot, capsicum, cabbage and stir it well. Let it cook and toss it in-between.
- Once it is almost cooked, add mushrooms and mix it well. Let it get cooked along with the other veggies.
- Once it is all cooked, add white pepper powder, salt, and give a stir. Then add Chilli garlic sauce, Green chili sauce, soy sauce, and stir it well. Now add vinegar and stir it again.
- Finally, add the drained noodles and mix it well and toss it. And add the spring onion(green part) and stir it.
Indo-Chinese Veg Hakka Noodles / Chow Mein is now ready to serve!
- Always cook the veggies in as high flame as possible. This is the key to the recipe’s success.
- Keep tossing every now and then. Use a non-stick pan that will make this step easier without requiring too much oil.
- Olive oil will give the full bodied flavor. However, you can choose any other oil as a substitute.
- Adding extra oil enhances the taste.
- If you don’t have white pepper, use black pepper instead.