Mutton Karahi / Karahi Gosht dish is a popular and traditional Pakistani dish which is traditionally cooked in a wok-like pan called karahi (hence the name Mutton Karahi / Karahi gosht.) It is a spicy and tasty dish which is glistened with oil and topped with ginger. Serve it hot with Naan, Paratha or Pulao or Poori.
- Mutton / Lamb – 1/2 kg
- Onion – 2, thinly sliced
- Tomato – 2, blend it into puree
- Ginger – 1 tbsp, chopped
- Garlic – 1 tbsp, chopped
- Green chili – 3-4, slits
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Red chili powder – 3/4 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Dried fenugreek (kastoori methi) – 1/4 tsp
- Yogurt – 1/4 cup
- Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
- Oil – 1/2 cup
- Ginger (optional) – to garnish, julienne (cut it into thin strips)
- Lemon – as needed.
- Salt – to taste
- Pressure cook the mutton with salt and water for 7 – 10 whistles. Once it is cooked, take mutton and take 1/2 cup of mutton juice from the excess water from the pressure cook and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add ginger and garlic and sauté it for a minute. Add the cooked mutton and sauté it for another couple of minutes.
- Add onion, stir it well and let it cook till the onion becomes translucent. Add blended tomato puree and let it cook till the oil floats to the top. Add coriander powder, red chili powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, and salt (we added salt in the pressure cooker with mutton, so be careful while adding extra salt.)
- Add kastoori methi, yogurt, 1/2 cup of mutton juice and 1/2 cup water. Let it cook on medium flame till the oil floats to the top.
- Add cilantro (I forgot to add the cilantro here) and green chili, and mix it well and let it cook for a minute. Transfer it to the serving bowl, garnish it with ginger (julienne cut) and sprinkle lemon juice.
Mutton Karahi / Karahi Gosht is ready to serve with Paratha, Chapati, Poori.
- Add red chili and green chili according to your spice level.
- Add lemon juice while serving.