Drumstick leaves are rich in iron and have many health benefits. Drumstick Leaves Stir-fry / Murungai Keerai Kootu is a healthy dish that can be made in minimal time. I make it a point to cook this dish at home at least once a week. It tastes really good along with Sambar or Kara Kuzhambu.
- Drumstick leaves – 2 cups, tightly packed
- Moong dal – 4 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Coconut – 1/4 cup, shredded
- Green chili -1
- Rice flour – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Shallots – 2
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 3/4 tsp
- Red chili – 2
- Remove the drumstick leaves from the stalk and wash it twice.
- Pressure cook moong dal with turmeric powder and water. Once it gets cooked, mash it well.
- In a blender, blend coconut, cumin seeds, shallots, green chili, rice flour with a little water.
- Cook drumstick leaves with salt and water. Once it gets cooked and absorbs almost all the water, add the mashed dal and stir it. Leave it for a minute and then add coconut paste and stir it again.
- Finally, temper the items given under ‘To temper’ and add it to the Stir-Fry / Kootu.You can serve it hot with rice.