Palak Paneer/ Saag Paneer/ Spinach & Cottage Cheese Gravy is a very popular North-Indian dish. The main ingredients are Spinach (palak) and Indian cottage cheese (paneer). Most classic palak paneer recipes contain a lot more than just spinach and paneer. This particular recipe brings out a perfect bright green color that rivals the looks of a restaurant palak paneer. It goes well with Chapati, Paratha, or Pulav. Let’s start making Palak Paneer/ Saag Paneer/ Spinach & Cottage Cheese Gravy.
- Paneer / Cottage cheese – 250 g
- Onion, medium size – 1, chopped
- Tomato, medium size – 1, chopped
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder – 3/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Kasoori methi – A pinch
- Nutmeg powder – A pinch
- Fresh cream/milk – 1/4 cup (optional)
- Salt – To taste
To boil & grind
- Spinach – 250 g
- Salt – A pinch
- Sugar – A pinch
- Green chili – 2
- Oil/Butter – 3 tbsp
- Cardamom – 2
- Cinnamon stick- 1 small piece
- Cloves – 2
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Remove the stems from the spinach and wash it thoroughly. Boil water in a pan, add a pinch of salt, a pinch of sugar, and add the spinach. Let it boil for 2 minutes (don’t close the pan with a lid). Then soak the spinach in ice water for a minute
- Grind the spinach and green chili together to a paste.
- Fry the Paneer cubes till they become golden brown evenly. Transfer it to a kitchen paper towel to drain the excess oil.
- Soak the fried paneer cubes in water immediately (i.e. while it is still hot) and allow it to soak for 5 minutes. Take it out and squeeze the water out gently (this step is to make the paneer cubes soft).
- Heat oil in a pan, add all the items under ‘To temper’. Add onion and sauté till it becomes translucent. Add tomato and ginger-garlic paste, and stir it till the raw smell goes away.
- Add coriander powder, red chili powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, nutmeg powder, and salt. Saute till the raw smell goes away. Add a pinch of kasoori methi, spinach paste, and fresh cream. Mix it well.
- Once it starts boiling, add paneer cubes and allow it to cook for 5 minutes on medium flame.Palak Paneer/ Saag Paneer/ Spinach & Cottage Cheese Gravy is ready. Sprinkle lemon juice on top while serving for a tangy taste.
- Add fresh cream or milk to make the dish richer.
- To prevent the loss of green color, don’t close the lid while boiling the spinach.
- Instead of tomato, you can also add yogurt/curd (but make sure to add the yogurt just before adding paneer).
- You can choose to add the paneer cubes without frying.