Let me just start by saying that taking a lunch box to the office or school does not have to be a boring affair. So I’m trying to be creative and have been scouting for easy-to-make and colorful food recipes. Carrot Pulao / Carrot Pilaf / Carrot Pulav / Carrot Rice is a colorful recipe that is mildly spicy with a touch of sweetness.
Carrot is one of my go-to kitchen staples and it tastes great raw or cooked. It may not be the most exciting veggie out there, but it is very affordable and oh-so-good for you. You just have to cook them in a new way. So this Carrot Pulao / Carrot Pilaf / Carrot Pulav / Carrot Rice is something to add to your list that can be made with a short list of ingredients.
You can check my other Carrot recipes here.
- Onion Carrot Uttapam / Pancake
- Carrot Peas kootu / Carrot Peas Stir-fry
- Carrot Thoran / Carrot Stir-fry
You can check my other Variety Rice recipes here.
- South Indian Tomato Rice / Thakkali Sadam
- Coconut Rice / Thengai Sadam / Kobbari Annam
- Turmeric Rice / Pilaf / Pulao / Pulav / Yellow Rice
- Tamarind Rice / Puliyodharai / Puli Sadam / Pulihora
- Carrot – 2, peeled & grated
- Onion – 1, chopped
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Green chili – 2, slit
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cashew nuts – 10 nos
- Salt – To taste
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cardamom – 2
- Cloves – 3
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
- Basmati Rice (uncooked / raw) – 1 cup
- Water – 1 1/2 cups
- Olive oil – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Clean and soak the rice in enough water for 15 minutes. Boil water in a deep bottomed pan and add salt and oil. Once it starts to boil, add the soaked rice and allow it cook.
- Heat oil in another pan, add the items under ‘To Temper’. Add curry leaves and onion. Once it turns golden brown, add Ginger-garlic paste, and green chili and sauté until the raw smell goes away.
- Add carrot and stir it for a minute and allow it to cook. Once it gets almost cooked, add pepper powder, turmeric powder, and salt.
- Add the cooked rice to the carrot and mix it well.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a pan, roast cashews till it becomes golden brown and add it to the carrot rice.
Carrot Pulao / Carrot Pilaf / Carrot Pulav / Carrot Rice is now ready to serve hot with Raita and Papad.